Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Gossip Blogs

I want to address the tragedy that is gossip blogs. While I've indulged and even written a few poorly executed blogs about pop stars and pop culture myself, its not my area of expertise. I don't market myself as someone who is solely responible for digging up dirt. I know there are a whole lot of you that like to feed into celebrity gossip, but at this juncture I'm appalled by it. Outside of a few reposts via my twitter account I don't feed into alot of it. Unfortunately, I feel the need to explain why...

First, gossip bloggers usually get their viewer ship by tearing down young and older women alike. A pop star gains weight their is a blog. An actress has photos leaked there is a blog. It's rare that you find a [gossip] blog that is female positive and I'm sick of it! I don't see the objective in beating down a woman because she doesn't fit neatly in one of society's little boxes. Forgive me if it sounds as if I'm atop my high horse, but in the real world women go through some things, and in hollyworld, we crucify them for being who we are everyday. Enough is enough.

Second, gossip bloggers insult our intelligence with every post, and every link they share. They aren't writers, and usually plagirise to afford you a shortlived cheap thrill. It's disgusting. Let's say you so click a link... You end up at a website that just refers you to another link and when you get there, its the same shit. These people can't even form their own thoughts on a subject. It's just a business of cut, copy and paste!

I am not Alice Walker, nor do I claim to be, but if I'm going to tell you that I am a blogger shouldn't I offer you some
substance? I'm all for pursuing your craft, I just think you should at least be crafty. On top of the lack of talent, these gossip bloggers are usually indignant and egotistical, and why? They don't do anything themselves. If I had to point fingers, and I'm going to... I'd blame this trend on the success of Perez Hilton's infamous blog. I don't visit his website, becuase I can't stomach the hate and misogny, but alot of [gossip] bloggers are following in his footsteps.

If my blog had to rely on popularity from tearing down women (and people in general) I much rather remain in my little corner here on the interwebs. I can only hope that people who deem themselves writers, will follow suit. I cone across so many decent blogs who relate real human struggles while not trying to bank on it or even become popular. I commend you, good people, for keeping it real.

I'd like to end these thoughts with this "integrity is what you do when people aren't watching" and though I may have butchered that quote, my heart means well. When I am no longer technologically challenged, I'll update here more. You can start to think of me as the "counter blogHER". I'll work my fingers to the bone promoting female positivity along with a space womyn can visit, without feeling indirectly attacked.

And remember kids, if you don't have anything good to say, don't say a damn thing!

Peace & Love,
Your friendly neighborhood Spaz


P.S. I'd also like to take a moment and dedicate this post to my twitter buddies who promote positivity (@stuffRedsaid) and even offer up a little snarky twist (@justjayde) I see what you ladies do, and you inspire me without a doubt. Keep it up & stay true to you. :-)

2 comments:

JustJayde said...

Mwah! Great post darlin and I am truly flattered.

I personally think Perez and his supporters all need to be kicked in the junk. They are the lowest of the low in my eyes.

Adults who gossip and snip about "the stars" are no better than bullies in school cutting down everyone around them to make themselves feel better because they are lacking something fundamental.

Perhaps instead of cutting others down these gossip bloggers could sit quietly, evaluate and re-evaluate their life and what is missing, and then? Fix it.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.